Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Believe Dat


I'm really starting to get wildly annoyed with people who are so quick to dismiss a great deal of new hip-hop as unoriginal. According to this viewpoint (and im guessing here) these "unoriginal" songs are tired and don't satisfy the thirst for new and improved hip-hop? Granted, some - even most - of the shit that rappers are dropping these days isn't really innovative or game changing, but why can't it still be hot? I'd rather drive around and repeatedly bump a mysogonistic rap song by Birdman and Lil' Wayne extoling the virtues of expensive champagne, nice cars and sipping sizurp than listen to The Blueprint 3 any day of the week. No disrespect to Jay-Z, but the fact that his half-ass effort to "change the game" might end up outselling Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Clipse, Cam'ron and Birdman (combined) in 2009 is a crime. Rap fans are becoming too picky about what they DON'T like and it's just another factor exacerbating hip-hop's impending death. I'd like some new sounds too, but I'll stay with the tried and true formula until someone actually changes the game. Take it for what it is. Rappers like Birdman have never claimed to be the most lyrically talented, but when I'm riding around on a sunny day with the windows cracked and my subs turned up, I'll have Baby's new album Pricele$$ spinning. You can keep The Blueprint (3 that is). Believe Dat.

That said, I leave you with a new video for "Money to Blow," the third single off of Birdman's upcoming album. Definetely my favorite single off the album to date, and any video where Birdman throws money and raps in front of white Lamborghinis is enough to keep me entertained for at least a couple days. Check it and judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgBETDui_4U.

No comments:

Post a Comment